Identity Theft Prevention: Safeguarding Personal Information
"Identity theft is not a joke, Jim!" - Dwight Schrute. All jokes aside, Identity theft is a growing concern in today's digital age, and it's crucial for credit union members to take steps to safeguard their personal information. By being aware of potential threats and practicing smart online habits, you can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to identity theft. Here are some essential tips for identity theft prevention:
1. Recognize Phishing Attempts: Phishing is a common tactic used by cybercriminals to steal personal information. Members should be cautious of unsolicited emails, messages, or phone calls asking for sensitive information. Always verify the legitimacy of the source before sharing any personal data.
2. Protect Your Social Security Number: Your Social Security Number (SSN) is a prized target for identity thieves. Never carry your Social Security card in your wallet, and avoid sharing it unless absolutely necessary. Be cautious when asked to provide your SSN, and inquire about the need for it.
3. Use Strong Passwords: Create strong, unique passwords for your online accounts. Incorporate a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Avoid using easily guessable information, like birthdates or names, and use a different password for each account.
4. Secure Your Devices: Ensure your computer and mobile devices are protected with up-to-date antivirus and anti-malware software. Set up passcodes, PINs, or biometric locks to prevent unauthorized access.
5. Monitor Financial Statements: Regularly review your bank and credit card statements for any suspicious or unauthorized transactions. Report any discrepancies to your financial institution immediately.
If you encounter a call or email that you believe to be phishing but aren't sure, we'd be happy to help. Call us at 402.441.3555 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Thank you for being a member and for keeping your money local!
« Return to "Financial Education Blogs - The CU Corner"
- Share on Facebook: Identity Theft Prevention: Safeguarding Personal Information
- Share on Twitter: Identity Theft Prevention: Safeguarding Personal Information
- Share on LinkedIn: Identity Theft Prevention: Safeguarding Personal Information
- Share on Pinterest: Identity Theft Prevention: Safeguarding Personal Information